Re: Evolution and support for rtl languages

tor 2004-04-22 klockan 12.55 skrev Arafat Medini:
> Evolutions interface is very buggy regarding rtl languages. This problem
> was reported long ago but no one seemed to care.
> After a chat with the evolution developers, the problem was downplayed
> stating that no one of the hackers uses ar locale and so there isn't any
> need to fix that problem.
>
> But pls take a look at this screen:
>
> http://www.silverpen.de/evo.png
>
> the interface is messy at it's best...
>
> In this regard Evolution doesn't match the standards set by the gnome
> project.
>
>  And I am against getting it included in the 2.8 D&D release if it
> doesn't have proper rtl support.
>
>  All the apps have it but the evo hackers don't seem to care.
> I mean haw can you ignore over 50 countries using rtl scripts and
> important languages such as Arabic hebrew persian etc... for an app like
> Evo? Which is a core app in gnome and which everyone will want to use.

I myself understand and share your concerns, but have you:

1) Made sure the(se) bug(s) are reported in Bugzilla? Evo uses Ximian
bugzilla, http://bugzilla.ximian.com/. A pointer to the relevant bug
report(s) would be useful, so those of us who don't know the bug numbers
offhand can take a look for ourselves at the reports and what has
happened to them.

2) Expressed your concerns about Evo RTL support on the
desktop-devel-list@gnome.org, perhaps cc:ed to
evolution-hackers@lists.ximian.com? Very few hackers (who could perhaps
fix these problems) are subscribed to the gnome-i18n list, while the
opposite is true for these other lists. Also, the d-d-l list is where
module additions for GNOME 2.8 will be proposed and discussed, so
expressing any shortcomings you may find with such software in advance
there on that list ought to be much more useful than doing it on this
list.