Re: Status page HEAD category?

ons 2004-04-14 klockan 22.27 skrev Adam Weinberger:
> What if, instead, there were a separate HEAD category, and it always
> contained the development branch. Then, it could be copied into a 2.8
> category once 2.8 branchpoints are tagged.

To respond to your suggestion more specifically, I think a seperate HEAD
category of the translation status pages would be redundant for the most
part of the year, as it would overlap with the category for the latest
development release/next coming stable release anyway, as those modules
use HEAD during the largest period of development. And when they don't,
it's always at times where translators should indeed focus on the
branches for the latest stable releases.

Also, renaming a category on the translation status pages is not
trivial, so calling something for its right name from start helps, and
also because people expect bookmarks and links to the pages to stay
valid throughout the process. Previously we used the development
release->stable release naming twist (i.e. gnome-2-1 status pages turned
into gnome-2-2 IIRC) but that had all kinds of nasty side effects of
those kinds, so we changed it later. So IMHO the next translation status
pages should follow that tradition and be named gnome-2-8 from start.

At the same time we should remove the gnome-2-4 status pages, and the
gnome-2-6 status pages should be reduced to only monitor the
developer-libs and desktop sections, to spare some cpu cycles on Carlos'
translation status updating machine.