Re: PO-based Documentation Translation

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 15:13, Christian Rose wrote:
> fre 2003-09-26 klockan 14.36 skrev Alexander Kirillov:
> > Christian: since you are actively working on translating docs, and I am
> > not, clearly your opinion carries more weight. Do  other translators
> > also feel that PO format will be helpful? If so, it is time to make a
> > decision and start actively working on DocBook->PO and PO->Docbook
> > transformation tools, rather than let the matter rest to resurface again
> > in a year.
>
> I think the consensus on this matter has been clear for a very long
> time, i.e. that translators very much want to be able to use the PO
> format also for translating documentation. I don't think we need any
> more formal decision on that. It should not be a matter of making
> decisions, as the consensus should already be clear to anyone who has
> followed the discussions each time they have resurrected both now and in
> the past.
>
> The reason this hasn't really come about yet is probably not a lack of
> decision but merely just a lack of people fluent with DocBook XML, the
> PO format and gettext/intltool, and that have extensive PO format
> translation experience and the time to get this working. Or a lack of
> sufficient cooperation between the individuals that have parts of that
> knowledge and time to do this.

I've been lurking in this discussion and wanted to ask: is there
anything we can do within Conglomerate to make it easier to translate
DocBook documents?  (Conglomerate aims to be a user-friendly XML editor
for DocBook and other XML formats, for those who don't know)

Feel free to add "enhancement" requests for Conglomerate into Bugzilla
specifying the kind of end-user support you'd like.

Unfortunately we only support XML documents, and as far as I can see, PO
files use their own syntax.  Is there an XML-ised version of the PO
format?

(For what it's worth, I'm fluent with DocBook XML, but know very little
about the i18n toolchain, and I also have very little time)

Dave

--
David Malcolm
www.conglomerate.org