Re: Translation of program names

fre 2003-10-31 klockan 02.27 skrev Danilo Segan:
> > I have little experience on how often other (company, product,
> > application) names are transliterated into other scripts. But I still
> > believe that one should be very careful with transliteration of
> > names, especially when not others are doing it,
>
> Uhm, Serbian grammatical rules explicitely state that all names should
> be transliterated, and first occurence *might* be followed with the
> original spelling (whatever the source language/script) in parentheses.

Ok.

> Transliteration is more often ugly than not, so I like to avoid it.

I can understand that, I'm just saying that you should be careful and
try to be as restrictive with that as you deem possible.

> > and my opinion is that names that are trademarks should be preserved
> > the way they are.
>
> Okay, this might be the point which distinguishes us. I couldn't care
> less about the trademarks.
[ skip rambling about company profits ]
> I also couldn't care less about the legal issues of my misusing of
> trademarks. I don't expect Gnome to have similar stance as a project,
> because it has to cooperate with many "trademarkish" companies.

Not only that, but some of our most active contributors *are* these
companies. Well, each contributing individual is an individual from the
GNOME point of view, but you get the idea. We should not bite the hand
that feeds us... well, perhaps that's making it too drastic, but we
shouldn't annoy them or misrepresent them. We should help them help us.
:)

Christian

(who is not representing anything but his own view)