Re: Translation of gnome user guide / FAQ files

tor 2003-10-30 klockan 12.45 skrev Jatin Nansi:
> As per step 2 of http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/tasks.html - to
> translate gnome to a language - i need to translate general user
> documents - which includes The GNOME User's Guide and the GNOME User
> FAQ. But I could not find any documented method which I can follow to
> translate these to another language.

This is unfortunately true, possibly because not many translators are
currently also translating docs. Some heroes are working on DocBook<->PO
tools though to make this process easier.

> I have seen that these documents are primarily displayed in yelp and are
> found in /usr/share/gnome/help on my RH9 system. These are all in XML
> and inter - hyperlinked.
>
> My problem is that its going to be very troublesome to translate these
> XML files in a regular text editor. So is there any simpler method for
> this job ?

At the moment, no, not AFAIK.

> Also - how will these translations be organised on the disk ? The
> english documents are in /usr/share/gnome/help/user-guide/C. So is the C
> directory the locale and Japanese (for example) will be stored in
> /usr/share/gnome/help/user-guide/ja ?

That is correct.
gnome-doc-list@gnome.org