Re: Do NOT commit executable po files!

Op do 30-10-2003, om 02:45 schreef Tino Meinen:
> Op wo 29-10-2003, om 11:21 schreef Christian Rose:
> > But this adds many responsibilities to committing translators:
> >
> > * They need to make sure on their own that they are only committing a
> > translation (unless they have approval for something else)
> > * They need to make sure on their own that they are only committing a
> > translation for their own team (unless they have approval for something
> > else)
> > * They need to make sure on their own that they have approval from their
> > own team in committing that translation (unless they have approval for
> > something else)
> > * They need to make sure on their own that the committed translation is
> > properly encoded in UTF-8
> > * They need to make sure on their own that the committed translation is
> > valid and passes the msgfmt test
> > * They need to make sure on their own that the committed translation
> > does not have executable permissions
> > * They need to make sure on their own that they've added proper
> > ChangeLog entries
> > ..etc.
> I believe some of these checks can be automated on the side of the
> committing translator by the use of a script. I believe the Dutch
> coordinator works that way; throwing a foo.po.gz plus name of the
> translator at the script, will do the nessacery checks, commit the file,
> changelog entry, update the Dutch website etc.
>
> Maybe use of such a script can be encouraged among the commiters?
>
> Tino

I guess that's my cue. :-)

I do have a combination of two scripts. These scripts automate the
boring tasks of checking and committing translations. I have found that
because of this boringness :) , the committer makes mistakes (well, I've
made mistakes).

The scripts I have made do two things:

upload-translation: This script checks one specific folder for
translations with a specific name "$cvs-module.$branch.$language.po",
optionally with .gz or .bz2 compression. This name is exactly the same
as the name on the gnome.org statuspages. It then displays a nice list.
You can check which translations you want to commit. It uses zenity.

process-translation: Is called from upload-translation but can be called
seperately (try process-translation --help). It checks them with "msgfmt
-cv", checks the encoding with "file" and checks the "Encoding" tag
inside the po-file. If everything is okay, it uploads them to cvs. And
optionally does some extra things. It uses zenity by the way. :-) If you
don't have zenity or X, it uses console output.

I've written these for myself. Because of that, they _might_ be less
than perfect (a.k.a. WorksForMe). Take a look at it (adjust variables at
the top of the script) and please give feedback.

Have fun!
Vincent van Adrighem
--
Gpg-key: http://pki.surfnet.nl KeyID=0x06BAB003