Re: PO-based Documentation Translation

hi there,

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 13:50, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 08:51, Danilo Segan wrote:
> > > Of course, if there was some standard for these, it'd be all the better ;-)
> yes, we could work on making gettext and .po a standard

Certainly, that's an approach you could take : it was tried before, to
try and get either gettext or catgets to be accepted under the POSIX
standard umbrella, but there was disagreement as to which to go for.

That said, I don't know if another l10n/i18n standards submission is
what the world needs now (in a sort of Burt Bacharach kind of way) -
things are confusing enough already.

To an extent, XLIFF sidesteps this problem : platform (a) can have one
gettext implementation, platform (b) can have another, and each can be
expressed in XLIFF, which is nice.

	that's just my opinion anyway...

	cheers,
			tim