Re: PO-based Documentation Translation

El mié, 01-10-2003 a las 12:41, Danilo Segan escribió:

> > I think you are confusing a bit some detail. The reference tool here
> > is not Emacs or our libre software favorite tools. You should study
> > how the real world works outside. This means you should focuse on
> > Trados, Wordfast, Transit, Deja Vu and so on, which are the real
> > tools than professional/commercial translator uses.
>
> I think you're confusing some details too ;-)

Not too.

> So, all those tools you mention might
> be really good for me, but I'd probably have to invest a month of my
> time to get to know them and become productive with them.

I didn't say you/we should _use_ that tools. Mainly because they are
commercial and expensive.

(And if I really said that, I was betrayed by my poor English :-)

The idea is _learn_ how they work and how professional translator work
for better use of the time of brave volunteers as you.

> But the "profession" is also usually educated in translation process
> quite a bit more than the average volunteer translator, so it's
> understandable that they're doing it more "professionaly".

This is why some of us are trying to educated volunteers for better
work.

Our users deserves the best quality available and there are some things
to learn out there.

> Btw, if we're to switch to any new format, I'd really like it to
> support a bit more of stuff I care about: like translations depending
> on the gender, context markers etc.

I suggest to study how Trados and others resolve these and other
problems. Maybe they are solved.

--
        A.Ismael Olea González

        mailto:ismael@olea.org  http://www.olea.org
        http://aduaneros.olea.org, la ONG sin futuro.

        El mundo debe empezar a tener miedo a un planeta OLEA