Persian translations (was Fwd: Re: [farsi] Farsi encoding standard)

> Could a coordinator take over the translation project totally and
> connect it with his/her carrier or line of job?  I have a problem with
> this guy and I need someone from Gnome i18n make him understand that
> this project is accually a free software project and should be open
> for every free spirited contributer and he may not blocking involvment
> of others.

I believe I have not blocked involvement of any person. I have sent all
of the volunteers introductory material on how to join the project, and
subscribed them to a closed mailing list where matters of translation of
free software to Persian is discussed, archives of which can be found at
<http://lists.sharif.edu/pipermail/farsi/>.

BTW, I consider your wording of "connect it with his/her carrier of line
of job" offensive.

> He has to submit translations from contributers imidiately

I guess it can't ever be done *immediately*.

> and if he  really!! cares about the quality and picking the better
> translations term based on some govermental entity this could be
> accomplished by reviewing.

I agree. The point is that reviewing them has been impossible since the
original glossary the Persian team compiled is out of synch with the
Persian Academy's computer terms list (which is required by law to be
used in Iran). I have been putting some efforts into discussions with
representatives from the Academy to get the list updated. In the
meanwhile, do you think it's sane to review everything twice?

> Is this not the normal approach of every linux and free software
> project?

I don't know about official policies of other countries about national
terms, but the Iranian government (one of the two countries where
Persian is official, the other begin Afghanistan) has a law on the usage
of foreign terms which we didn't know how serious it is. To make GNOME
translations usable to lots of speakers who live inside Iran (and don't
know enough English to use the English version) we must use Academy's
word list. That's all.
                                                                                                                            > For couple of months ago I joined the Persian team and sent some files
> to this guy he is neither submit my files nor to understand my point
> of view.

You never explained your point of view to me, unfortunately. Would you?

> I do not even live in Iran (I live in Sweden since 20 years ago) but I
> like to use gnome in Persian.

Feel free to use the existing translation, or to add your own. But
unless they use the Persian Academy's word list or orthography, I can't
add them. As for existing translations, we are planning to review them
all, as you already know.

Still, if you want your translation in the CVS immediately, it's fine
with me.

> If someone responsible for this kind of issues can not make this guy
> to understand what he is supposed to play as a role of coordinator and
> NOT as a OWNER of it,

I don't consider myself the OWNER of anything like GNOME's Persian
translation. But I consider myself responsible for its quality and
conformance to the laws of it's user base, most of which live under
Iranian law.

Please understand that I personally don't like some of the computer
terms the Persian Academy has passed, but we are required by law to use
them.

> could you help me with some instructions about
> how to compile the PO-files and install them so that I could do the
> translation for my own usages?

You should rebuild the package you are translating for with your new
".po" file. For how to build packages, see
<http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/> or
<http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/jhbuild/README>.

> Many thanks.

You're welcome.