Re: Translation of program names

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 05:07, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Danilo Segan <dsegan@gmx.net> writes:
>
> > I couldn't care less about the trademarks. Trademarks are there to
> > help manufacturer, and not the user (if we count out those users who
> > "chase brands").

But 'software manufacture' is unique.

You and me can be software manufacturers with very little capital
expenditure and give quality assurance with a personal touch.

With free software this is more true.

> Theoretically trademarks help the customer to get the thing he wants
> (the "real" one, not the clone); it is meant as a kine of quality
> assurance.  Real life might be different - so called global players
> often don't develop and manufacture their products themselves...

I think many global 'software' players are increasingly of such 'good'
variety that me must support with translations.
ie, Good free software houses.

Ramanan