Re: (no subject)

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 20:58, Glynn Foster wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> > OK, so let's change what distcheck does. I'm tired of waiting for all
> > the po update stuff to run when I distcheck anyhow - it takes
> > forever. ;-)
>
> Yeah, I have to say I'm in agreement here - having to commit everything
> except the po dir sounds like a real pain for maintainers, and I don't
> want to sound selfish about it. It's hard enough to get the maintainers
> doing regular releases, and I'd sure like it if there wasn't another
> hurdle in the way.

>From a maintainer point of view, yes, it's a small extra amount
of wait time for the maintainers, but even when I was using a 56k
modem years ago it was far from being a significant release bottleneck.

I'd be worried that if we changed distcheck that the .pot and
less maintained .po files are going to get vastly out of sync
with the sources since no-one is responsible for updating them in CVS.

It is unfortunate that we have a race condition where a translator
can get conflicts with a .po file they are working on, but the only
alternative seems to be to *never* update the .po files, which seems
to pose its own dangers.

Regards,
                                        Owen