Re: Font Selection

Hasbullah bin Pit wrote:

> Miloslav Trmac wrote:
>
>> OTOH the problem will probably have to be solved without
>> involving encodings anyway, assuming most people migrate
>> to UTF-8 in the upcoming decade.
>>     Mirek
>

> This is chicken and egg problem.
> the current default encoding for most browser is "Western"
> how about change the default to "Unicode" UTF-8

It will hardly happen, because it will invalidate and make many current
web pages incompatible with that kind of browser. The "western" encoding
is prescribed by HTTProtocol (actually, Latin1 or ISO-8859-1, not even
an updated standard like ISO-8859-15 or whatever, for the exactly same
reasons I guess).

Imaging visiting a web page which ought to be read in Latin1 with a
browser that defaults to UTF-8 (actually, one may set this himself in
Gecko-based browsers, I think)! You'd get a few invalid characters.

Cheers,
Danilo