Re: More "what do you do with..?" questions

   Hello!

For the Portuguese translations...

>applet; GUI; VFS; encapsulated postscript; metafile; shell, sub-shell,
>sub-shell support; pixmap; widget?

Applet, VFS, postscript, widget is the same. Others get translated to
portuguese.

>What do you with with killer app? It sounds like an assassin when
>I look at the words and imagine what it might mean if I didn't know.

Portuguese equivalent to "great app". By the way... "App" is a pain to
translate. We don't have a good short for app. "apl" (as short for
"aplicação") doesn't look good, so most of the time we end up having a
msgstr 3 times bigger than the original msgid...

>I'm particularly interested in whether you distinguish between
>directory and folder? How? What about "vfolders"?

Translate directly to portuguese. As for "vfolders", can't remmeber
translating that one. If I done so, it must have been "vpasta" as for
"virtual" = "virtual" and "folder" = "pasta".

>Similarly there are reboot and restart; and the mess of words
>to do with setting preferences: apply, submit, discard and so on.
<... zip ...>
>Are you getting overlaps and overloaded words? I have heard that
>package and packet often end up translated as the same word, for
>example?

We do a lot of overloading, sometimes because it is needed, sometimes to
make UI look better. For instance, on the same po, we sometimes have
"e-mail", "email", "E-Mail", "Email" and "EMail". I try to always make it
look the same throughout one po file (although it might not be equal
throughout several po files...). Also "settings" and "configurations" are
sometimes translated equally...

By the way... I take this opportunity to ask a question. How do you handle
situations where the msgid is "None" when your language has "sex". Because
sometimes the same "None" on a po file can be used for "No files" and "No
messages". For us, files are masculine and messages feminine, so we would
translate "nenhum" or "nenhuma".

I think this kind of knowledge exchange is great! Hope I contributed well.
Have fun!

Duarte "HappyGuy" Loreto

"Don't worry, be happy!"