Re: totem 0.99.1

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 16:31, Paul Duffy wrote:

> what's your definiton of the "original orthography" for irish.
The one in use for >1000 years :-) as opposed to the one that
I am guessing came in with the spelling reform of the 70's.

Are you saying that you really can't read the old road signs? ;-)

for those who haven't a clue what I'm on about, sometime in recent
memory the aspirated consonants, which were represented by a letter with
a "spot" above it, were replaced by the same consonant followed by the
latin character "h" (which was mostly unused in Irish).  Thus

ċ -> ch
ṁ -> mh
ḋ -> dh

etc.  thus making the language much less compact (and less beautiful,
typographically).  Presumably this happenned for compatibility with
English-language typewriters - though the job was half-finished since
the "fada" (ˊ) remained to trouble the typist.  The above transformation
is 1:1 and thus reading the old orthography does not require learning
any complex rules or unfamiliar symbols.

I am well aware that Irish is a compulsory subject for some 11-12
years.  Perhaps if the language reform took place today in the age of
Unicode instead of 30-odd years ago, the typographic issue would have
been moot and the old orthography would have been retained.

- Bill