Re: [Translation-i18n] Proposal for declinations in gettext

Deniz Akkus Kanca wrote:

>If the word takes a pronoun, such as my, you add the suffix for the pronoun
>(genitive) and keep the declinations at the end:
>
>evim - my house
>evimde - at my house
>evimden - from my house
>evime - to my house
>evimi - objectify as in I am painting my house - evimi boyuyorum

My experience in looking at and translating strings is that composition
is usually done as:
"Painting %s", where "%s" would take the form of "my house". In this and
similar cases, I guess declinations would even help you.

Instead of "evim boyuyorum", you'd be able to get "evimi boyoyorum" (ok,
some part of "boyoyorum" will probably change, because it's not realted
with "I" in my example, but you get the point).

Of course, I realize that it would not work for all cases. As a matter
of fact, it wouldn't solve all problems one might have with my (Serbian)
language (verbs changing form depending on gender, who is doing the job
[I, you, (s)he/it, we, you, they]). But, the proposal was not made to
solve that problems, rather only a small set of problems caused with
composition which uses the form:
"verb %s", and "%s" is any "noun-form" (adjectives, nouns, pronouns,...
eg. "my wonderful house").

In your examples, regarding Serbian language, the word "my" would also
go through declinations, genders, etc, so if the composition is used as
you suggested, there would be no way to translate it correctly either.

>>Your feature would encourage the programmers to keep constructing the sort
>>of strings that you present in the beginning. My point is that this will
>>make the programs impossible to translate for many target languages.
>>

>Exactly. The minimum translatable unit is a stand-alone clause or sentence.
>This principle works for all languages. I despair at trying to explain
>anything else to mono-lingual developers.

The last thing I wanted to do is to "encourage" programmers to use bad
strings. But, my small experience with the kinds of strings programmers
do produce is that they are usually not that bad, just "somewhat" bad,
and consist of separating verbs and nouns. In many languages, as I have
seen on this list, these cases can be solved using the
declinations-mechanism.

As I've pointed out above, even though I am "mono-lingual" (not counting
the English, and long-unused Deutsch), this solution is not "The
Solution for all problems of Translation to My Language", but rather a
simple solution for problems that exist, and are pretty annoying.

I don't know how any of you have translated the Metacity strings of the
form:
"Switch to %s", where %s is "Workspace %d" (which is also used as
standalone for naming the workspaces),
but the solutions here are (because we can have an arbitrary number of
workspaces) either what I proposed, or context markers that Miloslav
Trmac mentioned:

"[Switch to ]workspace %d"
"Workspace %d" # for nominative
"Switch to %s" # here, only the first string would be used, so no problems

In my "solution", it would become:

"Workspace %d" # and translation includes all the needed declinations
"Switch to %<identifier-of-particular-word-form>s"

I am not certain what is better, but any of these would work. The second
is easier on the programmers, but harder on translators, while the other
is vice-versa. Since I have found out that translators *are* willing to
work harder to get the correct translation for their beloved language
:-), I prefer the second solution (it would also make some
translator-unfriendly programs a bit more friendly without (big)
intervention of the programmer).

Cheers,
Danilo