Re: Wanted: the worst strings in Gnome

"R.I.P. Deaddog" <deaddog@deaddog.org> writes:

> On 2003-06-06(Fri) 11:20:36 +0200, Ole Laursen wrote:
> > I've forgotten most of those I've encountered, but here are some of
> > those that I've marked because I'm not sure I've translated them
> > correctly.
>
> You must have forgotten that Telsa wants private mail :-D

Hm, didn't read carefully enough. Oops.

> > Telsa Gwynne <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
> >
> > > What are the worst strings in Gnome to translate? The most
> > > baffling when looking at the po file and not knowing the
> > > application?
> >
> > There's a good one in GTK+:
> >
> >   "IM Preedit style"
> >
> > One can infer from one of the other messages that IM = input method,
> > but "preedit"? A few others from same module:
>
> This question has been asked 2 times (in my memory) in gnome-i18n, and
> someone has answered them fully (probably Zenith Lau). You can dig
> deeper into the mail archive.

Yes, I know. It was a rhetorical question. :-)

> > My favourite nightmare word right now is "hinting", though. I really,
> > really wish that would go away from the UI. I am hoping that a UI
> > review will conclude that it is slang and demand it replaced with
> > something friendlier.
>
> Is there any replacement? There's "kerning" as well. If there's a better
> choice, it can be replaced, but sometimes languages have to be improved
> as well to cope with this world... ouch, this becomes OT now.

Educating users about such unimportant slang is simply not possible. I
don't precisely know what the setting does but it should be possible
to rewrite it with a few more words.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/