Re: Wanted: the worst strings in Gnome

On 2003-06-06(Fri) 11:20:36 +0200, Ole Laursen wrote:
> I've forgotten most of those I've encountered, but here are some of
> those that I've marked because I'm not sure I've translated them
> correctly.

You must have forgotten that Telsa wants private mail :-D

> Telsa Gwynne <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
>
> > What are the worst strings in Gnome to translate? The most
> > baffling when looking at the po file and not knowing the
> > application?
>
> There's a good one in GTK+:
>
>   "IM Preedit style"
>
> One can infer from one of the other messages that IM = input method,
> but "preedit"? A few others from same module:

This question has been asked 2 times (in my memory) in gnome-i18n, and
someone has answered them fully (probably Zenith Lau). You can dig
deeper into the mail archive.

>   "Set the column for the expander column"
>   "Render detail to pass to the theme engine"
>
> Render is very hard to translate, at least for Danish. Sometimes it
> means "draw", sometimes "generate" or "create", sometimes "copy to
> screen". Usually it is some sort of combination.

Agreed, this is the same situation for Chinese.

> From libbonobo:
>
>    "generic factory 'new' moniker"

As well as all CORBA keywords.

> From gnome-terminal:
>
>   "<big>S/Key Challenge Response</big>"
>

> My favourite nightmare word right now is "hinting", though. I really,
> really wish that would go away from the UI. I am hoping that a UI
> review will conclude that it is slang and demand it replaced with
> something friendlier.

Is there any replacement? There's "kerning" as well. If there's a better
choice, it can be replaced, but sometimes languages have to be improved
as well to cope with this world... ouch, this becomes OT now.

Abel