Re: Wanted: the worst strings in Gnome

I've forgotten most of those I've encountered, but here are some of
those that I've marked because I'm not sure I've translated them
correctly.

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> What are the worst strings in Gnome to translate? The most
> baffling when looking at the po file and not knowing the
> application?

There's a good one in GTK+:

  "IM Preedit style"

One can infer from one of the other messages that IM = input method,
but "preedit"? A few others from same module:

  "Set the column for the expander column"
  "Render detail to pass to the theme engine"

Render is very hard to translate, at least for Danish. Sometimes it
means "draw", sometimes "generate" or "create", sometimes "copy to
screen". Usually it is some sort of combination.

>From libbonobo:

   "generic factory 'new' moniker"

>From gnome-terminal:

  "<big>S/Key Challenge Response</big>"

My favourite nightmare word right now is "hinting", though. I really,
really wish that would go away from the UI. I am hoping that a UI
review will conclude that it is slang and demand it replaced with
something friendlier.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/