Re: schema files

On 2003-07-11(Fri) 16:03:04 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> fre 2003-07-11 klockan 14.25 skrev Murray.Cumming@Comneon.com:
> > The release team has heard that lots of schema (gconf, I suppose) files
> > might be difficult to translate or somehow poorly internationalised, or
> > might have english text that should be rewritten. Could someone explain the
> > problem to us, with examples? Maybe we can then make the issue more widely
> > known.

Menthos has clearly stated most of the problems faced when translating
schemas; but there is one more. Sometimes, default values of gconf keys
are translatable too.

In a few cases, this is desirable, such as default URL for browsers,
where each locale may want different settings. However, this brings are
side effect, that the localized gconf key values may not be always valid.

For example, when AM/PM display format is available for translation
(valid values include "12" and "24" only), sometimes they are translated
as _locallized_ string of 12 or 24, which are invalid values, thus
confusing gconf.

There's no concensus on how to resolve it (AFAIK), and is open for
discussion.

Abel