Re: About translating documents (.xml/.sgml) in GNOME

Jordi Mallach wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 02:00:14PM +0100, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
>
>>It's a very rare case in KDE that a document undergoes huge changes.
>>Typical changes are typos, cleanups, clarification, markup fixes and
>>adding new text. I never felt like I've lost my work done on previous
>>version of the document.
>

> Given the amount of changes in any major release of KDE or GNOME, if the
> changes are so small I'd think the documents
> - don't describe the desktop completely (so they don't really need to do
>   updates, because when something change they don't need to redocuiment
>   it as it wasn't documented before)
> - are not up to date with the new features.
>
> For example, does the Konqueror documentation name Tabbed Browsing?

It depends on teh document layout aswell - in case of a well-structured
document, addition of a feature like tabbed browing would probably cause:

	* there to be a new chapter / section on tabs and how to use
	* additions to the lists of possible keys and menu choices

And thats basicly it. Now its true that you could have badly organised docs
(by say documneting things in order of manus and the choices in them) that
have lots of interdependancies and repetition, but this does not have to be
the case.

Adding features should in most cases only cause additions to documents with
minimal rewriting. Which does mean that most of previous translation work is
preserved.