Punjabi/Panjabi and Bengali/Bangla{was Re: Additional language entries in gdm}

Quoting Pramod R <pramodleo@yahoo.co.uk>:

> http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html,
> > which is the page
> > of the official registration authority for language
> > codes, calls the
> > language "Panjabi".
> >
> > The Merriam-Webster dictionary (http://www.m-w.com/)
> > lists both
> > "Panjabi" and "Punjabi" as alternative forms.
> > However, as the official
> > registration authority uses "Panjabi", I'd say we
> > should probably use
> > that.
> Yes, but Punjabi is widely used in India rather than
> 'panjabi'. See the use of punjabi in the official govt
> of punjab's site vs. the use of panjabi:
> punjabi(http://punjabgovt.nic.in/):
> http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%
2Fpunjabgovt.nic.in+punjabi&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0
> panjabi:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fpunjabgovt.nic.in%
2F+panjabi&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0

> It doesn't matter what the ISO code says, I sincerely
> believe you should listen to what the users from
> Punjab use.
> -Pramod.

While we are having this discussion I would like to point out that even though
the official ISO site calls the Bangla language "Bengali", the users would
prefer "Bangla". So if GNOME decides not to follow ISO strictly on this issue,
which I doubt, then we should also use "Bangla" instead of "Bengali".

And as for bn_BD and bn_IN, I think Chirstian has already pointed out why both
of them are needed.

Taneem

This e-mail has undergone DECONtamination.
http://www.deconference.com
http://www.eyetap.org