Re: Additional language entries in gdm

On 17 Feb 2003 16:12:29 +0100
Christian Rose <menthos@menthos.com> wrote:

> mån 2003-02-17 klockan 13.23 skrev Guntupalli Karunakar:
> > > +Punjabi                        pa_IN.UTF-8,pa_IN
> > >
> > > Should be spelled "Panjabi"
> >
> > No, original is correct, its 'Punjabi' - Punjabi is spoken in
> > state of Punjab.
>
> Are you sure that's the official English spelling? "Panjabi" is
> cited as the spelling in the official recordings for the "pa"
> language code: http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html
> It doesn't matter much anyway, as we don't have pa translations yet.

 Hmm. The root of the problem, They mistook it as 'Panjabi' so
assigned 'pan' & 'pa'
 whereas it should have been 'Punjab'  'pun', 'pu' . There is anyways
no other language with codes 'pun' or 'pu', they could have got it
right in first place.

> >  A team is in formation, work on translating gnome glossary will
> >  be
> > starting soon. maybe wouldnt harm having it.
>
> We shouldn't include language entries IMHO until there are
> translations for it -- a user isn't helped much by having a Gujarati
> entry when it doesn't have any visible effect.
> But it's great that a team is in formation. I'm looking forward to
> the team announcement.

Will be announced soon - once I find a prospective coordinator.

Regards,
Karunakar

--
Hating people is like burning down your house to get rid of a rat -
Anon

* Indian Linux project, www.indlinux.org          *
* Indic-Computing project, indic-computing.sf.net *