Re: CVS modules for translations

On 2003-12-27(Sat) 06:29:53 +0100, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/current/cvs_18.html#SEC160
> >
> > For example, the translation-desktop-th module could consist of:
> >
> > gnome-desktop/po/ChangeLog
> > gnome-desktop/po/th.po
> > gnome-panel/po/ChangeLog
> > gnome-panel/po/th.po
> > etc...
>
> That could be the best solution, as it's easy to implement and does not
> need to change any other team works.
>
> The problem is that I don't think it's possible to do it with files,
> AFAIK the CVSROOT/modules "alias" are only for directories (I have never
> tried it with files so If someone else can try it with files and tell us
> if it works...)

Yes, it can be done. Something like:

[deaddog@localhost ~] $ cat CVSROOT/modules
translation-desktop-de &acme/po/de.po &bug-buddy/po/de.po .......
translation-desktop-el &acme/po/el.po &bug-buddy/po/el.po .......

But all the files listed _must_ exist, otherwise the alias will fail to
expand -- and the virtual module can't be checked out.

> > However, this would amount to a fairly large set of modules in the
> > CVSROOT/modules file to maintain, and would probably need a little
> > co-ordination with the gnome-sysadmin team.

Yes, I'm seeing this as problematic as well. Maintaining the list isn't
a trivial task, especially when new translations can possibly be
committed everyday.

> > Crackpot idea, or workable?
>
> If cvs supports it, it's the ideal one IMHO, although I see other small
> problems with it, but it's better if we check that it works and then try
> to fix the secondary problems.

And if someone is willing to devote his/her time on this, that is :-D
If the module list file can be automagically updated constantly without
paying effort, that's absolutely better.

Abel

--
Abel Cheung
Linux counter #256983   | http://counter.li.org