Re: French character names in gucharmap

Hi Danilo, everybody,

Great idea. I don’t know why I didn't think of it myself. :)
I’ll set up the project on freedesktop.org as Christian
suggested.

What existing pure translation projects can I look at for
reference?

Clearly, the project should venture to translate not only
the character names but also strings from Blocks.txt,
NamesList.txt, Scripts.txt and possibly others. [1] These
are all greatly outnumbered by the character names.
Fortunately the character names are guaranteed to be stable;
new ones are added, but old ones never change. Most of the
other strings can change though.

In addition to these, there are 19,401 definitions of CJK
ideographs in Unihan.zip. I'm leaning towards creating a
separate project for them. Thus I plan to create the
following projects (under the utf-8 cvsroot since it happens
to exist already):

unicode-translation
unicode-han-translation

I welcome further comments and suggestions.

Noah

[1] These files can be found at http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/