Re: Bookmarks localization (was Re: Epiphany default toolbar layout)

Christian Rose writes:

> ons 2003-04-30 klockan 07.49 skrev Christian Rose:
>> In short, a set of default bookmarks exposes all possible problems with
>> localization, far beyond just translating titles. Because of all these
>> difficulties, I'd say just include the absolute minimum set of bookmarks
>> possible, and let distributors etc. worry about the localization issues
>> if they want to alter or add bookmarks to the set. :-)
>
> To further expand on this issue, the reason I say the above is both that
> it saves us work, that distributors usually modify the set of bookmarks
> anyway, and that distributors often have a better grasp of what users
> and markets they target, and hence what bookmarks may be suitable and
> what localization is needed to suit their users.

Hey christian,

I've been thinking about this a bit lately. For the most part i think the
default set of bookmarks in epiphany should be limited to "smart bookmarks,"
ones that can be used for searching from the location entry and bookmarks
bar (users can bookmark their favorite news, stocks etc. sites themselves).

Presumably sites like google are available in enough languages were
translators could update the links to correspond to their respective
locales. Obviously this approach does not scale well to large numbers of
bookmarks, but in this case (i'm thinking of at most 3-5 and even that may
be pushing it) would this be doable?

dave

dave