best way to preview translations

Hi,

is there a way to see (incomplete) translations as they would appear in an
application, other than compiling the entire application from cvs ? To be
more precise, we are looking for a way where perhaps one of us could compile
some stuff, which other translators could then use with the gnome
applications that come along with their distribution (RH, Debian, ...),
without having to compile the whole application.

Is this discussed somewhere ? Sorry if this is a trivial question, but I
haven't been able to find anything on this.

Thanks,

Deepayan (for the Bengali Translation Team)