Re: Translation : how to ??

Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

>Kaixo!
>
>On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:22:52PM +0200, Danilo Segan wrote:
>

>>If you're the only user of the computer, doing a
>> echo export LANG=jp >>~/.profile
>>

>it is "ja", not "jp".
>(and what does it change if you are not the only user? ~/.profile is your
>file, it doesn't do anything on other users)

Yes, my mistake on the ISO code!

I wanted to say that this is enough if you're the only user, but may not
be enough if there are more who expect to use Japanese too. I suggested
this solution since the OP is not quite familiar with the GNU system,
and lacks the knowledge to edit system-wide /etc/profile (or so it
seems) which would also work if (s)he is the only user on the system.

So I wanted to imply exactly what it *doesn't* do (like you say, it
doesn't do anything to other users).

>>And by the way, it's a fault on the Mandrake side not to have this set
>>up by itself (if it already offers the choice of language).
>>

>No, you can choose the language settings, at install time, or afterwards.
>
>There isn't a "Gnome language configuration applet" liek there is a KDE one
>for the simple reason that Gnome follows the system language settings
>(KDE doesn't, it has its own language setting, not compatible with system
>configuration); in other words, it is not the Gnome responsability to
>set the language settings, but the system (eg: the distribution)
>responsability; that is, the language configuration tool has to be searched
>on the system configuration tools, and not on the Gnome configuration tools.

I'm not familiar with the Mandrake, so I said that it should set that
option itself (if language was already chosen at install time), as you
say it would. Something went wrong obviously, so the OP didn't have it
set up. You imply that Mandrake has the tool for the job, so the OP
should use it.

Cheers,
Daneelo