Translation : how to ??

Hello,

I'm a newcomer in Mandrake / Gnome world, and I'm not accustomed to use this systems yet. To make my knowledge grow faster, I would like to change the language of the Gnome interface to Japanese, but I don't understand how to do.

In the KDE interface, we just have to do 2 clicks and here we go, the whole interface is in Japanese... How come it is not as simple as this in Gnome ?

Anyway, I guess you are working on it, but for now, how can I change the language (which is English by default) to Japanese ?
There is this tutorial on your site :
To enable support for your language, you need to add this to ~/.profile :
If bash (default in many distributions) is your shell:
export LANG=
xx
export LANGUAGE= xx :yy :zz

But I can't find the "profile" file. I found only one file "profile" in the /etc/ folder, but I can't edit it, it is read-only. I changed the permission with "chmod" in the terminal, and even if I can now edit the "profile" file in emacs or gedit, I can't save it....
When I installed Mandrake, I didn't choose English language, only Japanese and French, so how come the whole interface is in English ?
How does it works ?
Is there a graphical way to change the language like KDE ?
If not, how can I find/edit/save the "profile" file ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Best regards,
Seb Angulo