Re: Translation problems

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:27:17PM +0000, Martin Craig wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been having some really strange translation problems. I have a
> Spanish translation file and almost all of the translated strings appear
> correctly. However some do not, in particular none of the "About" box is
> translated. This includes the translator credit!
>
> The strings are in the es.po file, they are marked for translation in
> the source, everything looks fine comparinig it with other gnome apps,
> but the translation just doesn't appear (I get the English instead).
>
> I don't expect anyone to psychically know what the problem is, but could
> anyone give me an idea as to what might be going wrong, or some hints as
> to how I can go about tracking it down, as right now I am stumped...

What package are you translating? Maybe we can see the problems in other
languages, too.

Something that may or may not be relevant to your debugging: large
portions of the 'About' box are translated in the libgnomeui message
domain. The only bits that are n the applications domain are the
messages in the pages themselves (including the translator_credit
string, of course). So are you seeing things like "OK" and "Credits"
being translated in the About box, or not?

Malcolm
--
The hardness of butter is directly proportional to the softness of
the bread.