Re: gedit schemas file warning.

On 30 May 2002, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
> > I think this is a bad idea. We are only four days away from deep freeze
> > (when not even translation updates will be allowed as I understand it) and
> > adding schemas.in translation to all modules will result in a huge load of
> > new strings to translate across most GNOME modules.
>
> Why does it matter? This isn't really adding strings, it's just enabling
> already existing strings for translation. The only place most of these
> show up is in gconf-editor. The only two modules that have strings from
> the .schemas files visible in the gui are metacity and gnome-panel (in
> the keybindings capplet). I've added intltool support for .schemas in
> metacity and Mark added it to gnome-panel a while ago.
>
> We could wait until 2.0.0 is out of course, but I don't think it's a big
> deal if we put it in now, aside from the status page stats being changed
> because of all the "new" strings.

Exactly. If support for schema is added for a lot of modules right now,
lots of largely irrelevant strings will appear in pot files, making the
status pages, one of the most important tools for translators, mostly
useless for prioritizing work, right at the time when it is perhaps needed
the most.

What's worse is that potentially important strings to translate will
immediately become invisible in the mess.

Both you and I agree that these schemas strings are rather unimportant, so
*WHY* do they have to be added right now?