Re: gedit schemas file warning.

tor, 2002-05-30 kl. 15:54 skrev Christian Rose:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Damien Donlon wrote:
> > > Well that is because people do it wrong. To get schemas files translated
> > > you should do the following.
> > >
> > > cp file.schemas file.schemas.in
> > > add the file.schemas.in to POTFILES.in and not the file.schemas
> > >
> > > Add the INTLTOOL_SCHEMAS_RULE and the file.schemas file (containing
> > > translations) will be created.
> >
> > Thank you Kenneth! Is there a good general awareness of this among
> > the package maintainers i.e have they updated their package
> > POTFILES.in to include .schemas.in files? In a spot check of :
> >
> > gedit                 gnome-control-center  gnome-utils
> > ggv                   gnome-desktop         gperfmeter
> > ghex                  gnome-media           nautilus
> > glade                 gnome-panel
> > gnome-applets         gnome-session
> >
> > ..I only see references to .schemas in the POTFILES.in of gnome-panel,
> > gnome-utils & gedit yet most of these modules contain .schemas files
> > in their sources.
> >
> > Maybe they don't all have translatable content but it might be an idea
> > to send a reminder to the gnome-hackers alias.
>
> I think this is a bad idea. We are only four days away from deep freeze
> (when not even translation updates will be allowed as I understand it) and
> adding schemas.in translation to all modules will result in a huge load of
> new strings to translate across most GNOME modules.

Why does it matter? This isn't really adding strings, it's just enabling
already existing strings for translation. The only place most of these
show up is in gconf-editor. The only two modules that have strings from
the .schemas files visible in the gui are metacity and gnome-panel (in
the keybindings capplet). I've added intltool support for .schemas in
metacity and Mark added it to gnome-panel a while ago.

We could wait until 2.0.0 is out of course, but I don't think it's a big
deal if we put it in now, aside from the status page stats being changed
because of all the "new" strings.

Cheers
Kjartan