Re: Gnome 2.0 Localization for Solaris

Kenneth Rohde Christiansen wrote:

> On 2002.03.20 19:32 Damien Donlon wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> > Myself and a few others are working out the details of
> > the localization plan for Gnome 2.0 on Solaris. Currently
> > the plan is to do translation for all software to be included
> > in the Gnome 2.0 Solaris release which has not already been
> > completed by other members of the community. We will also
> > be doing translation for the documentation and help content
> > being provided by Sun. So far, the language list is as follows :
>
> Nice!
>
> > We are investigating the possibility of doing some additional
> > languages but these haven't been confirmed yet. All translations will
> > eventually go back into the community CVS tree.
>
> I would vote for Danish as we are pretty well supported already with
> exception
> of documentation.

Sorry but I don't think Danish is being considered at this point. As far
as I know the languages are Hindi, Arabic, Hebrew. Ultimately, the
decision on which languages will be translated is out of my hands but
I will let the alias know when I have definite news on this.

> > We have a number  of issues which I'd be _very_ grateful to get input
> > & feedback on. They are :
> >
> > - Given the large amount of translation involved, how do you think
> >   we ought to break this up? If we take everything at once and the
> >   rest of the community continues doing translations are we
> >   going to come unstuck when we attempt to merge our translations
> > back?
>
> I think you should take contact with the translation teams and try to
> get your work back in CVS as quickly as possible, to avoid duplication
> of efford

Yes, I think it will be necessary to have direct communication with
the coordinators. The listing at :

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html

indicates the following coordinators :

de         Matthias Warkus
es         Manuel de Vega Barreiro/Germán Poo Caamaño
it         Christopher Gabriel
fr         Christophe Merlet
pt_BR      Jorge Godoy
ja         Yukihiro Nakai
zh_CN      Wang Jian
zh_TW      Abel Cheung
ko         Noh Woo Kyong
pl         Zbigniew Chyla
sv         Christian Rose

Is it accurate?

BTW - for UI string and documentation translations we are following the Solaris
Gnome 2.0 release schedule which follows after that of the official Gnome schedule
(because of building, porting, packaging etc.). I don't know how this will
impact on what translations we manage to get into the official community 2.0
release at this point but will let the alias know when I know. If they don't make it
into the 2.0 release they would almost certainly go into the release
immediately following it.

> >   I know we ought not but want to avoid as much as possible
> >   duplication of work between our translation teams and other members
> >   of the community.
>
> hmm, I should read before I start replying :)
>
> >   We are thinking about taking it in chunks e.g 6/7 CVS modules at
> >   a time thereby reducing the incidence of this happening by having
> >   a quicker translation turnaround. What do you think of this approach
>
> Always mail the translation teams to let them know what you are doing,
> and mail all the translations to their mailing list for review! We do
> that for the Danish team, and the Swedish team do something just like
> that

OK, another member of our team Ashling Donagh (ashling.donagh@ireland.sun.com)
will communicate with the coordinators on translation review.

> >   as opposed to just taking the lot at once? Would community CVS
> > tagging
> >   before our translation be useful?
> >
> > - Are all modules now configured correctly to use xml-i18n-tools?
> >   Can we rely on "xml-i18n-update --pot" as capturing all localizable
> >   content within software, .desktop AND .xml files in the community
> > CVS
> >   tree or have some CVS modules yet to be configured to use this
> > mechanism?
> >   If so, which modules are not yet configured?
>
> xml-i18-tools is dead. Use intltool please! If you still have issues
> please mail me.

I wish I could say I knew this! :o)
I thought intltools supplemented xml-i18n-tools! I have installed
the intltools and unsurprisingly enough I no longer see those
errors. Thanks.

For what it is worth - a couple of modules do generate AC_PACKAGE_NAME.pot
instead of a .pot representing the package textdomain (specifically - gedit,
ggv,gperfmeter)

BTW - how do I generate the sawfish pot file using the "make-pot" script
supplied in it's po directory?

> If I want to update the danish da.po file I will run 'intltool-update
> da'
>

> > - So far we are aware of the need to add translations to .po, .desktop
> > and
> >  .xml files. Is there translatable content in other files? Someone
> > mentioned
> >   .server files as containing translatable content. What are they?
> >   Are there others?
>
> Never translate these files directly! intltool-update does everything
> for you!!!
>

> > - Some .po files are not yet UTF-8 encoded. If we were to develop
> >   a mechanism for checking and converting message files to UTF-8 are
> > we
> >   free to do so or would this have 'unforeseen' detrimental
> > side-effects?
>
> There should also be something in intltool for this
> 'intltool-unicodify'. Please report problems that you encounter.

This would be very cool. Let me check it out and get back to you.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Damien
--
¤ºÿ°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤ºÿ°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°ºÿ¤
Damien Donlon