Re: Gnome Internationalization: A proposal

Yes, it may be best for those languages where there is currently a very
low level of translations. I do envisage a language team or a couple of
people making sure that the translations that are accepted are
consistent. This probably would not work for docs though.

I have been thinking of a setup where the strings to be translated are
displayed in a form on a web page along with all other translations that
have been made by others (if any) along with instructions and examples.
The translator then makes their translation and this posts to the
database. The language team can then pick the best translation as the
official one. Perhaps there could even be a database of how certain
terms have been acceptably translated before - a sort of lexicon.

If some one with programming skills were interested in this perhaps they
could point the way to how to do it. I did a sort of test run using cat
and grep (Hey, thats the extent of my programming skills) to see if I
could get the strings into a file and then into MySQL. this did not work
well at all. I'm will to learn a scripting language though (Perl, PHP)
to help with my own website as well as this.

Any thought you have would be greatly appreciated.

Edward Kamau