Re: gedit string freeze breakage

[cc'ing gnome-hackers to remind people WERE IN STRING FREEZE; Menthos,
if there are any further violations of the freeze, please cc:
gnome-hackers so that they can again be reminded we're in string freeze
and we like our translators and would like to keep them :) ]

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 04:52, Christian Rose wrote:

> According to what I know, the string freeze is still in effect.
> It seems this change in bug-buddy broke it by changing one message and
> adding a new one (or at least translators were not informed about this):

<snip>

Please, please let translators know /before/ you make any i18n changes,
and please make sure that they are /utterly/ important if they are
happening in the 2.0 branch.

> I don't know much about this change, maybe it's more trouble reverting
> it (I'm attaching a diff of this change), but if further string changes
> are expected, please branch gedit for gnome-2-0

I'm pretty sure there is such a branch already.

> or be more careful about
> changing strings, or please at least give notice to translators on
> gnome-i18n@gnome.org immediately after the change was committed.

FWIW, this particular change fixed a problem where write-protected files
could be overwritten without warning, which is a pretty serious problem,
so I think it should stay in. But it is up to the translators, really-
whatever they say goes.

Lis