Re: UTF8 encoding for all .po files

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 03:41:00PM +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> El mié, 24-04-2002 a las 15:34, Keld Jørn Simonsen escribió:
> > On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:13:51PM +0200, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > > Hi I'm thinking on recode all GNOME2's .po files into UTF8 before the
> > > release. Some teams are not working on translations and then those
> > > translations could cause problems on old systems (as old as a Debian
> > > Potato or RedHat 6.2).
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > Could I reencode all those files and commit them to cvs.gnome.org?
> >
> > I think it would create some problems. I have experienced
> > quite a lot of problems with utf-8 files, because they
> > are not adhered to. That is, many make modifications
> > to utf-8 files in another charset, eg iso-8859-1.
> > And then one has to remedy these errors. I have lost
> > quite some hours on that account.
> >
> > It has been discussed before and the conclusion
> > was also then to not do it.
> >

> But we need it as UTF8 at release time...
>
> We can add a script at cvs.gnome.org to check for a valid .po file, if
> the file is not well enconded the commit can fail.

Why do we need it as utf8 at release time?
gettext can handle all kinds of conversion even utf8
and we said before that there was no need to have everything in
utf8 as a source encoding. For me and many others
it is just a nuisance to convert back and forth to utf8.
And it is a source of errors, an unneccesary source of errors.

Keld