Re: doc-i18n-tool

[ seems it's time I subscribe to gnome-i18n, done, Daniel ]

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 03:06:36PM -0400, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> Damien Donlon - Sun Microsystems Ireland - Solaris Software - Software Engineer <Damien.Donlon@Sun.COM> writes:
> > So, we can use this to generate a DocBook XML file
> > from an existing DocBook SGML file by doing :
> >
> > DocBook SGML -> .pot -> DocBook XML ?
>
> DocBook SGML -> .pot
> DocBook SGML + .pot -> Translated DocBook SGML
>
> The actual format/structure of the document doesn't change.

  Well actually saving the xmlDocTree produced from parsing
the SGML is far more likely to look like XML in the end than
SGML. I would actually prefer that personally !

> > Also, do you happen to know whether the move to DocBook XML
> > is *absolutely* definite now for Gnome 2.0? Is there a schedule
> > for the changover i.e for when XML format docs have to go into
> > the CVS tree based on the most recent Gnome 2.0 schedule?
>
> This is up to the doc guys.  Any comments?

  Yep it's pretty sure. The fact that libxml2 was hacked to add read
capacity for DocBook SGML is one of the obvious reasons.

> > Incidentally - I attach a very rudimentary (you've been warned)
> > validator for DocBook XML 4.1.2 conformance. It DOESN't handle
> > multi-byte (unless you convert to UTF-8 first).

  libxml has full I18N support (utf8/utf16/Iso-latin-1 and all encodings
supported by iconv() when compiled on a platform supporting it)
    http://xmlsoft.org/encoding.html

> What's the difference between it and xmllint?

  Good question, xmllint --valid should cover this. And is supported
by doing the actual DTD parsing and following the XML spec to the letter !

Daniel