Re: red-carpet pos

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:17:49PM +0100, Christian Rose wrote:
> val wrote:
> > brief history:
> > 1. i translated RC-0.9 to russian, patched red-carpet.glade and sent all stuff to one of the maintainer.
> > 2. rc-0.9.1 was released without any i18n changes i did.
> > 3. rc-0.9.2 was released without any i18n changes.
> > 4. i updated my translation, patch glade file against 0.9.2 and sent all to red-carpet@ximian.com
> > I wrote them, that my "patch" may be repeated by check "Save libglade strings" in Glade
> > and that they can found translation for RC to some languages at gnome cvs in module gnome-i18n/extra-po/red-carpet.
> >
> > Atm i receive no response.
> > I'm worried, coz many translators spent their time with translation of this program.
> > I understand, that "non-english" (and the russian at first of all)
> > is not in the zone of marketing interests for Ximian.

Generally normal for (pure) US-Companies (for now).

> > May be i'll drop ru-translation support for any ximian-closed source.

Hmm.

> > So, please sorry me for time you spent on RC-translation.

It was not me, but Ömer. He won't be very worried about it I guess, ther red-carpet
 file is very small.

> Yes. In my experience, most people at Ximian in general are often
> uninterested in fixing i18n problems (there are some but they are few),
> and the Red Carpet maintainers are the most noteworthy. They don't even
> answer any e-mails that have something to do with translations (noone I
> know of who have ever contacted RC people, either directly or through
> their mailing list, with an i18n question/patch/translation has ever
> recieved a response), and they seem to simply silently reject all
> patches that have something to do with i18n, since they never end up in
> the sources.
> It would'nt surprise me if even Red Carpet 1.0 is released without any
> i18n support whatsoever.

Hm, let's see..

> So my advise would be to any translator that has ever thought about
> translating Red Carpet - forget about it. Your time is better spent with
> translating any other application (that hopefully has maintainers more
> clueful with the importance of non-English language support).

For example gtranslator .-) No, it's quite frustratung that such situations
 are going on in such a company like Ximain who wants to "deliver intelligence"
  -- is intelligence only English?
--
kabalak / kabalak@kabalak.net / Fatih Demir
`-GNOME / ICQ:64241161 / GSM: +491749787080