Re: question

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> > To the best of my knowledge, the answer is "yes."
>
> I'd think differently.  Copying from HEAD to stable is only appropriate
> if there stable lacks a .po file completely (or if it is terribly out of
> date).
>
> In general only translators should move around .po files.  The usual way
> is to create a regular branch for stable and to tell the translators to
> work on it for the next release.

I agree. My answer was to the question if it is technically possible to
move po files from a branch to another. Since the question was put that
way, my answer was yes.

Of course the best thing is always to inform translators, so that they can
decide on how to move or not to move themselves, and how their translation
should be updated. They know their translation the best.

The best thing to do for a maintainer when branching wrt translations is
to make sure the POTFILES.in are correct in both branches, and inform
translators by mailing to this list of the names of the branches, and
which branch releases will be made from at the moment.