Re: gettext (accidental?)

Hi, Owen!

> The standard po Makefile.in.in requires one file from intl/ -
> po2tbl.sed.in ... I just changed the Makefile.in.in to look for that
> in po/ rather than intl/, and checked in the modified
> po/Makefile.in.in, and po/pot2tbl.sed.in.

Great!  I hope that future versions of gettext will support projects that
don't want to distribute "intl" for whatever reason.

> I think a lot of modules never used the virtual &intl; module and just
> got their intl/ from gettextize. I know that this the case for all the
> modules I maintain.

I thought using gettextize from scripts was discouraged by gettext
maintainers.

> > Note that GNU Midnight Commander will always need intl since its text
> > frontend doesn't require Gtk. However, MC could switch to its own intl
> > directory if the shared one is removed or stripped of real code.
>
> The question is not whether you require GTK+, but whether you want to
> support building on systems without a gettext library.  But anyways,
> nobody is going to force you to do anything you aren't doing now -
> though I might suggest simply getting your intl/ from gettextize
> rather than using any checked in copy.

Building with NLS on systems without gettext is very important for the
text frontend.  I see no immediate need for switching MC CVS to
gettextize, but I may consider it later.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin