Re: Keep or remove xchat extra-po ?

ons 2001-12-19 klockan 19.19 skrev R.I.P. Deaddog:
> Just discovered that, we seem to have a useless
> /gnome-i18n/extra-po/xchat{,-stable} here.
>
> 1. Some po files in xchat source are not in gnome cvs. E.g.
>    ca, fi, he, lt, pt...... and so on.
>
> 2. Some po files in gnome CVS are not present in xchat source, e.g.
>    lv, sr_YU
>
> This means that the po directory in xchat source and gnome CVS
> are completely unsynced. We are putting xchat po files here to
> expose xchat translation, and let more translators contribute
> to it. But if they are completely ignored, then we are just
> acting as a fork of the original translation, instead of exposure.

I don't think this is a problem. The INFO files in CVS explicitly say
that you have to mail your translation to the author. In other words,
just committing it to CVS and expecting it to automatically appear in
the next XChat release simply doesn't work. If your point is that the
problem is that people don't always read the INFO files when they
should, then I agree.

> Even worse is that, some translators work on xchat, only to
> find that the po file from other translators are incorporated into
> xchat source instead -- that's a complete waste of time.

This, however, is in my opinion a more serious issue. Unfortunately, I
don't know if there is any way to solve it.

XChat is not in GNOME CVS, it's not in any CVS at all, and there is only
one developer/maintainer AFAIK. On top of that, he's usually rather
unresponsive in my opinion; getting an answer back from him is a rare
event. This is not just a problem for translators, it affects all
developers who would like to improve XChat. That's part of why there are
some projects starting on writing a simpler IRC client that integrates
better with GNOME, and resides in a CVS, so that there can be many
contributors.

To sum things up, I don't think there's a lot that can be done to
improve the XChat situation as long as there is only one developer and
no CVS, but I don't think removing the extra-po directory in GNOME CVS
will help.