Re: language codes

,-- One day, you wrote:

| when talking about lang that not yet recognized by ISO....
| is it a "dialect"?
| How about dialect that very different with its language?

The ISO codes are not about languages and dialects, but about
identifying the natural language in which documents have been
written (or recorded, ...).  One of the main criteria ISO seems
to be using, is that there should be enough written/printed
documents in the language, and then it can get a code.

The distinction between a language and a dialect is hard to make
anyway.  There is no clear-cutting definition possible on
linguistic grounds.  It's been said - I forgot who did - that a
language is a dialect with an army and a navy.

--
Frederik Fouvry		-	fouvry@coli.uni-sb.de
KDE DocBook Team	-	kde-docbook@master.kde.org