Re: [Red-carpet] Re: Red Carpet translations

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Christian Rose wrote:

> As I wrote later, yes, the .mo language files are really shipped and
> installed with Red Carpet. But they don't work.
>
> I tested with both sv_SE and da_DK and none of them work - you get some
> few menu items translated in the main Red Carpet menu bar, but those are
> translations from gnome-libs. None of the translations that are in the
> .po files for Red Carpet end up translated in the running Red Carpet.
> The po files are syntactically correct, so the problem seems to be Red
> Carpet.
>
> I've only tested on Red Hat, but I've just had other people verify that
> this is the
> situation on Debian too.

To verify that the translations are indeed used, you may want to try this:

# strace -o output.txt red-carpet

<...exit the application once it started...>

# grep "locale" output.txt

The result you will get will be something like that (red-carpet 1.0)
open("/usr/share/locale/el_GR/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo", O_RDONLY) = 6

As you can see, the application was not configured properly.
Instead of looking for a "red-carpet.mo", it looks for "messages.mo".

Thus, you can temporarily copy your red-carpet.mo to messages.mo
for your testing and file a bugzilla bug report.

simos