Re: GNU gettext-0.10.36 for non-ASCII msgid

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 01:53:15PM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> <keld@dkuug.dk> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 01:28:12AM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> [snipped]
> > >
> > > How about fixing all the msgid's which have any non-ASCII character?
> >
> > That might be limiting English too much. You have words like naïöe
> > and some words with æ in proper English spelling. And then there
> > are a number of developers that spell their names with non-ascii
> > characters. I would myself feel quite offended if my name was
> > misspelled because of silly ascii restrictions.
>
> "naive" and "ae" are used in practice.

Yes, but it is not according to the dictionaries.

> Why should you write your _real_ name as _msgid_?  When you write your
> name as msgid, that is not your real name.  It's just an English
> representation of your name, like my name in this Email.  In "C"
> locale, those non-ASCII characters are unprintable.  And in some
> locales your name won't be displayed correctly.

There may be a way around this, and that is to use the \uxxxx constructs
in the msgid's. This is still pure ascii, but should be translated to
the correct encoded character in the encoding of your locale,
according to the ISO C99  standard.

Keld