Re: GNU gettext-0.10.36 for non-ASCII msgid

Kaixo!

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 07:57:24AM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> After all msgid is nothing more than an ID.  For "proper" spelling use
> en_US -- the \x hack has to go away.

I would say en.po instead. otherwise en_GB or en_NZ people won't have it.

Another reason to set that in the po file is that then it will display
correctly both in en_*.ISO-8859-1 and en_*.UTF-8; a hard-wired encoding
will only work in one case only.

> > And then there are a number of developers that spell their names with
> > non-ascii characters. I would myself feel quite offended if my name
> > was misspelled because of silly ascii restrictions.
>
> Choose a clean ASCII notation (e.g. TeX).  This will force the
> translator to try to do the right thing.  Don't forget to create
> en_US.po.

Use comments, eg:

	/* if your encoding allows it, use 'ccedilla' instead of the 'c'
	 * of 'Francois' */
        N_("Francois"),
        /* if your encoding allows it, use 'lstroke' instead of 'l'
         * for 'Pawel' */
        N_("Pawel"),
        /* if you can, write it in cyrillic */
        N_("Boris"),

proper unicode representation could even be given to further help the
translators:

	/* if your encoding allows it, use 'ccedilla' (U00E7) instead
         * of the 'c' 'Francois' */
        N_("Francois"),
        /* if your encoding allows it, use 'lstroke' (U0142) instead of 'l'
         * for 'Pawel' */
        N_("Pawel"),
        /* if you can, write it in cyrillic (U0411 U043E U0440 U0438 U0441) */
        N_("Boris"),

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga