Re: Any plans to support the Zamenhofian Language of Esperanto?

Kaixo!

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 01:33:12PM +0000, simos pc96 ma rhbnc ac uk wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, The Faery Monarch (La Regxo Fea) wrote:
>
> > Any plans to support the Zamenhofian Language of Esperanto in GNOME environment?
>
> I suspect that Pablo will know more about this.

Yes :)

Well, Gnome on X11 has everything needed to support it; as can be seen
in the attached picture.
What is missing is translators wanting to translate po files to Esperanto.

Just do as for any other language: take the empty pot file and start filling
the empty msgstr in Esperanto (using iso-8859-3 encoding), then it will
be included in CVS as .../po/eo.po in the corresponding module.

I can send you the pot files for te base modules (gtk+, gnome-libs, gnome-core)
if you prefer.

> Anyway, check
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/release/status.shtml
> to see if the language code of Esperanto is being worked on.

No. (the code is 'eo')

> In the current release version of GNOME there are around 13000 messages
> to be translated and you need special care (read: initiative) with
> some computer terminology (examples: widget, panel, load)

Several programs of the Linux-Mandrake distribution have been translated
into Esperanto (including the installation itself); that may help you,
the fiels are available at
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/l10n/translations.php3
You can also contact the one that did those translations for
discussing about terminology. His address is:
D. Dale Gulledge <dsplat rochester rr com>

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975