Re: open translations database

Hi Aoife,

I was wondering if you had a Danish freelancer or something like
that ;)

>* A lot of applications had untranslated text.

This is one of the toughest things to deal with, and a very importain
one. What I do is to try to keep Gnome 100% at all times, but that is
impossible, and sometimes maintainers release a package, which might
not be well translated. This is extremely bad, since sometimes, there
will go uptil a half year before a new release is made, and who say
people download this.

This has been helped a lot with our status table, and the more pro
i18n attitute among package maintainers.

The main problem with this today is:

- lack of translators
- lack of time to test the packages (updates comes too quick to
  catch up)
- maintainers who do not inform of upcoming releases
- translators are not working full time, so often they are busy
  up to a new release
- other translation formats, like .desktop .keys etc files, that
  is in no status table, and that translators generally do not know
  about
- missing inclusion of #include <config.h> ;) => translations are
  not working
- missing files in POTFILES.in (better since the update.pl -M was
  created - but still far from perfect)

Cheers, Kenneth

* Extended characters ÅÄÖåäö are sometimes displayed
AA,AE,OE,aa,ae,oe.

*  Some Inconsistencies

Christian, let me know how we can help.
Aoife

> Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:50:12 +0100
> From: Christian Rose <menthos@menthos.com>
> To: GNOME i18n list <gnome-i18n@gnome.org>
> Subject: Re: open translations database
>
> Hello Aoife,
>
> I believe most teams are interested in working together with
people from
> Sun and it's contractors with improving the GNOME
translations.
> Of course, I can only speak for the Swedish team, but we look
very much
> forward to hear from Sun and the Swedish freelancer working
for Sun (is
> there one?), possibly with a QA on existing GNOME
translations.