Re: cvs repository mirroring by rsync disabled?

On อ., 2005-09-20 at 03:30 +0700, Ross Golder wrote:
> On ส., 2005-09-17 at 07:45 +0200, Martin Birgmeier wrote:
> > Until the beginning of August, I mirrored parts of the gnome CVS repo
> > via rsync to rsync://anoncvs.gnome.org/gnomecvs. This seems to have
> > been disabled.
> >

> Ah, the 'anoncvs' DNS entry now points to another machine, serving an
> NFS mount of the real CVS repository.
>
> I guess, as a temporary measure, you could swap 'anoncvs' with
> 'master' (or 'container', or 'cvs') in the URL. Long-term, we should
> probably move the rsync service over too (at least for the CVS
> repository).

Sorry, it was 3:30am when I responded to this, and I obviously didn't
understand the problem properly ;) As Owen says, it looks like you were
subsyncing from our remote mirrors until we switched the DNS entry. I
really should refrain from trying to work through email at that time of
day.

I suggest that rather than rsyncing from the laggy mirrors, you apply to
be one of the laggy mirrors yourself ;) That way, you'll have
authenticated access to the live sources, on the provision that you join
a round robin or two, and allow public access to your cache etc.

I doubt I'll get round to it this century, but I was hoping to write a
simple cron script that notes which ',v' files have changed in the last
x minutes, and just pushes those to a list of mirrors (reporting any
failures immediately). That could be used to reduce the lag on the
anoncvs mirrors to a negligible amount (say 5-10 mins), and help us spot
problems before they get reported by developers. I can't see it being
more than a few tens of lines of code/script, if that.

> > Is there an alternative method for mirroring, and if yes, which one? -
> > Personally, I would prefer cvsup, as my main goal is saving bandwidth
> > when new versions of gnome are created; cvsup is even more bandwidth
> > saving than rsync.
> >

> Copying gnome-infrastructure. Might be worth setting up cvsup too if
> it's not too complicated.

I can't claim to know much about cvsup, but thinking about it afresh,
there's actually nothing wrong with rsync, and it is kind of the
de-facto protocol for this kind of thing, so setting up and maintaining
a cvsup service is probably not such a great idea after all. But thanks
anyway - all suggestions are still appreciated :)

Cheers,

--
Ross