Re: Subversion migration.

On 5/13/05, James Henstridge <james jamesh id au> wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> >Thanks. This is very useful. It would be nice to also see the commands
> >for making /applying a patch. Apparently they are also similar to cvs,
> >so people might find it reassuring that they would not be forced to
> >change how they get contributions if using Arch.
> >

> There are really three cases here:
>
> 1. in the best case scenario, both the patch creator and patch applier
> are using arch.  In this case, the person working on the changes simply
> has to publish their archive somewhere people can access it, and ask the
> patch applier to merge that branch.

>From observing planet development and peeking in on other places, it
has been my experience that this model puts very little pressure on
the central maintainer to actually integrate patches, so things
splinter very quickly. The response you get is 'just grab from that
repository' when you need a fix, instead of the better 'I'll review
the patch and get it into the repository ASAP.'

Luis