Re: Change servers timezone to UTC (was: Bugzilla will be DOWN Sat 9 April 17.00-20.00 UTC)

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 11:15 +0000, DANIELLLANO wrote:
> Now that you are doing this big change, it's the time to change this
> servers and others timezone to UTC (you know not every gnome developer
> or user lives in US East Coast)

* Changing the server's localtime to UTC is somewhere on the sysadmin
  teams TODO list.

* It takes some work because all cron jobs have to be adjusted
  to run at appropriate low-load times.

* It is *not* a high priority item, because, while converting to your
  local timezone from UTC might be a little easier than converting from
  EDT

   a) The server time really shouldn't occur in a lot of places, and
      always occurs with a timezone indication. Yes, bugzilla mail
      says "Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:13:01 -0400 (EDT)" but how
      often do you look at the Date field in a bugzilla mail?

   b) You'll have to do timezone conversion wherever you are, unless
      you have your wall clock set to UTC.

* I doubt we'll do it during bugzilla downtime. First, the bugzilla
  downtime is just bugzilla, not all services. Second, doing a lot
  of unrelated things at once is a great recipe to end up
  broken and not know why.

* There seems to be some "why is the US special?" grudge here :-).
  While I agree that in general, there is nothing special about
  US/Eastern (it's probably about tied with Central European time
  in terms of number of GNOME hackers), the servers *are* located
  in US/Eastern...

Regards,
						Owen