Re: Proposed modules for 2.10 wanted NOW

> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 11:18 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>> It's written in python and makes extensive use of libglade and the
>> python-gnome and pygtk bindings.
>>

> Have python and pygtk etc been accepted as 'the' (or 'a') GNOME
> scripting language? Maybe I've missed the discussion, but last I knew
> there had been no decision about whether to include a scripting language
> as a GNOME platform dependency, or if so which language it would be
> (holy war!).
>
> Call me old-fashioned, but I'm one of those people who would prefer to
> see the core desktop stay completely written in C, as per the GNU
> guidelines. If I have a problem with a C program, I can always debug it.
> However, I do not yet have the time to learn all the nuances of all the
> fancy scripting languages that are come into existence over the last few
> years.
>
> That is not to say that I don't think Divifund should be a
> GNOME-endorsed program, just that it should reside outside of the 'core'
> desktop, such as in the 'fifth toe' (or whatever that is called now)
> because it would otherwise introduce unnecessary dependencies.
>
> I agree that most individuals, families and businesses would find a
> financial program very useful, but I'd rather wait until something
> written in plain C comes along before it goes into the core desktop. I'm
> still hoping the GnuCash guys can wean themselves off of Guile at some
> point - I've got a whole list of packages I'd like to remove from my
> system that are only used by gnucash! All my financial data is tied up
> in GnuCash format at the moment. Does Divifund do a similar job and is
> it compatible in any way?
>
> Just my (old-fashioned) opinion.

Hi Ross,
        I plan to implement a GnuCash (and Quicken and MS Money) import
function Real Soon Now. I frankly never found GnuCash useful, I do
find Divifund very useful so I'm not sure what functionality you'd
miss from GnuCash.

Visit the MyBudget website and read the documentation for MyBudget or just
download it and try out the sample budget and data to get afeel for it.

Regards writing in C, I really don't see the point. Divifund (or MyBudget)
is written in around 2.5 LOC of Python plus a similar amount of XML in the
glade files. It leverages all sorts of useful stuff from advanced GTK tree
widgets to the python gconf wrappers.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Cheers

Martin